Xiaomi Mi A1 was launched in last year and it was the first smartphone from a company that running on Android One. The Mi A1 runs on Stock Android version which hasÂ its advantages and the device will get fast and regular updates. Xiaomi MI A1 came out of the box with pre-installed Android 7.1.2 Nougat OS and it is one of the few phones which have been updated to Android Oreo.
You will be disappointed if you like Xiaomi MIUI Skin and some extra features. If you are going to root your device,Â youâ€™d have to give up the OTA updates. But thanks to theÂ XDA Senior Member jashancheemaÂ whoÂ found a way to root the Xiaomi Mi A1, without disabling OTA updates.
If you have Xiaomi Mi A1 smartphone and want to root itÂ without disabling OTA updates, then you are at right place. Here in this article, we will guide you to how to unlock bootloader and root Xiaomi Mi A1 on Android OreoÂ without disabling OTA updates.
Benefits of Rooting:
- You can boost your device performance.
- You can flash custom ROMs
- With the help of root access, you can uninstall/remove pre-installed by your network provider or by the manufacturer.
- Rooting also increases the battery life of the Smartphone because those running always can be removed.
- You can block ads on any apps.
- You can change or customize more your device.
- Make sure your device charged at least up to 60%.
- This tutorial is only for Xiaomi Mi A1 running on Android 8.0 Oreo. Donâ€™t try it on others devices.
- Make sure to take a complete backup of your device.
- Setup Minimal ADB and Fastboot on Your PC or Laptop.
- Make sure you have installed proper XIaomi Mi A1 drivers on your PC or Laptop.
- Enable your device USB debugging and OEM unlocks from developer options.
- Make sure your device bootloader is unlocked.
Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking
Enable Developer Option
- Go toÂ SettingsÂ >Â About phoneÂ > Click MIUI version 7 times.
Enable USB Debugging
- Go toÂ SettingsÂ >Â Additional settingsÂ >DeveloperÂ optionsÂ >Â USB DebuggingÂ and enable it.
Enable OEM Unlock
- Go toÂ SettingsÂ >Â Additional settingsÂ >Â Developer optionsÂ >Â Enable OEM Unlock.
The guide involved in flashing a custom recovery, ROMsÂ andÂ rootingÂ your deviceÂ is highlyÂ customÂ and may damage yourÂ device. Also rooting your device will void your device warranty and you will be no longerÂ eligible to take it to the service center for a free repair by theÂ manufacturers/warranty providers.Â Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at yourÂ own responsibility.
- Magisk Manager APK
- Patched Mi A1 boot imageÂ â€“ from the December Security patch
- Patched Mi A1 boot imageÂ â€“ from the stable January security patch
How to unlock bootloader and root Xiaomi Mi A1 on Android Oreo without Disabling OTA Updates
- Download the boot image file for your Xiaomi Mi A1 from the download section and extract it.
- You will get the patched_boot.img file, copy the file andÂ in fastboot folder.
- Now you need to boot your device into fastboot mode.
- Now connect your Mi A1 to PC or Laptop via USB cable.
- Go to the installed ADB and fastboot folder on your PC or Laptop.
- Enter the folder, now press and hold the shift key and right click of the mouse anywhere in the folder.
- Now select Open command window here option.
- Now type the following command in command prompt to reboot OnePlus 5T in fastboot mode.
adb reboot bootloader
- Now, your device in fastboot mode.
- Now write the following command in command prompt to check the connectivity of the device. If your device connected properly to PC or Laptop, it would show your device serial number.
- Now write the following command to unlock Xiaomi Mi A1 bootloader.
fastboot oem unlock
- Now write the following command.
fastboot boot patched_boot.img
- Now remove your phone and reboot it usually.
- Now download and installÂ the Magisk Manager APK from the download section.
That’s it. If you are facing any issue during the process, let us know in the comment section.